Long hours, lots of responsibility, weighty decisions, lengthy discussions behind closed doors… Being a C-Level executive is hard work! The meetings especially can be grueling, requiring high levels of attention and focus. Staying alert and energized can be a chore when so much demand is put on your mental capacity. One of the best strategies you can use to keep everyone operating at full capacity is having food and drinks brought in. If you really want to maximize the catered lunch you order, choose a menu focusing on a few of these powerful brain food options:
- Whole Grains: Carbohydrates are your brain’s #1 source of energy. Whole grains take longer to digest, which means they release glucose into your bloodstream more slowly. The result is a steady flow of energy giving your brain greater capacity to concentrate. Menu Suggestion: Baked Penne or Bruschetta Bar
- Blueberries: One study found eating blueberries could not only help prevent short term memory loss, but could help improve your short term memory in general! The same could be true of strawberries and other berries. Menu Suggestion: Cascading Fresh Fruit Display or Fresh Fruit Salad
- Fish: Essential fatty acids are incredibly important to your brain function. The best ones to seek out are Omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which are found most prominently in fish and seafood. Salmon is an excellent choice! Menu Suggestion: Smoked Salmon Stuffed Artichoke Hearts or Cedar Plank Salmon
- Cruciferous Vegetables: These vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and kale are a few examples) are packed with vitamins and minerals to help your brain function at its best. Vitamin K in particular is known to improve cognitive functions. The antioxidants these foods contain protect your brain from toxic free radicals. Menu Suggestion: Broccoli, Bacon, and Cashew Salad or Spinach Salad
- Eggs: Egg yolks contain choline, which helps your body produce a neurotransmitter that improves your short-term memory and keeps your brain cells communicating well with each other. Menu Suggestion: Quiche or Deviled Eggs
- Coffee: Aside from being an obvious energy elixir, coffee actually has lots of antioxidants in it that work to keep your brain healthy. Menu Suggestion: Local roasts are always a big hit. We’re happy to make a suggestion if you need one!
- Water: Dehydration is no joke. Even mild cases can reduce your short-term memory and impair your focus. Your brain literally shrinks when you aren’t drinking enough water! Menu Suggestion: Keep a pitcher of water on the table and refill often!
- Walnuts: An excellent plant source of Omega 3 fatty acids, walnuts increase blood flow so your brain gets more oxygen an can work better. These nuts are even shaped like a brain – it only makes sense to eat them as brain food! Menu Suggestion: Gourmet Foccacia
- Beef: Beef (and other red meat) is an excellent source of iron, a nutrient important in our bodies because it transports oxygen. In one study, women with healthy iron levels completed tasks faster than other participants with low iron levels. Menu Suggestion: Beef Tips in Red Wine or Roast Lamb
We enjoy catering corporate meetings of all sizes. For more information about our menu options (and how we can feed your team brain food at your next meeting!) and to receive a quote, please contact us here.