Are you gearing up for the “Big Game” this weekend? Many of us here in the Portland-Metro area are excited about the Seahawks playing in this year’s Super Bowl. And of course, we hope they pull off another win like last year!
The Super Bowl is one of the biggest events of the year that’s not a holiday. Regardless of which team you’re rooting for, it’s a great reason to host a fun Super Bowl Party and celebrate with your friends.
These are suggestions for preparing your home for a winning Super Bowl party:
How to Decorate
Set the mood for your Super Bowl party with football-themed decorations. If you’re short on time or creativity, you’ll find great decorations and the supplies you need for inexpensive decorating at a party supply store, such as Party City.
First, decide on a theme for your Super Bowl party. If your guests aren’t die-hard fans of either team, then you may choose to decorate with a neutral football theme or a Super Bowl XLIX theme. On the other hand, choosing decorations that support your favorite team may encourage cheering, or even some fun rivalry.
Start by covering your food serving tables with themed table cloths. Provide matching plates, cups, and eating utensils – and make sure they are within easy reach.
Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) offers these two other fun Super Bowl party decorating suggestions:
- String mini pennants along your mantel, bookshelf or walls
- Strategically place footballs, mini helmets, paper team logos, or other football-theme accessories on the food table or around the party area.
Plan the menu
Although people are coming to your Super Bowl party for the game (or the commercials!), they’re probably even more excited about the food and drinks you’re serving. Make things easy for yourself and your guests by offering a variety of hearty appetizers and snacks. Thinking about serving healthy foods? It’s really okay to remove those items from your party menu for the day! Traditional game day party favorites include finger foods, chicken wings, and chips & dips. And don’t forget the desserts!
Satisfy your guests’ game day appetites with some of these Super Bowl party recipe suggestions from Food Network:
- Pull-Apart Touchdown Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Football Cookies
- Last-Minute Super Bowl Cupcakes
- Game Day Chocolate Cake
- Kids Can Make: Football Cocoa-Crispy Rice Treats
Estimate how much food and drink to serve
One final thing as you prepare for your Super Bowl party involves planning how much food and drink you should serve. According to data cited by the Miami Herald, “Super Bowl Sunday is the second-largest food consumption day of the year, behind only Thanksgiving…”
One way to ensure you have plenty of food for your Super Bowl party is by organizing a potluck. As your guests reply to your invitation, ask them if they can bring different items to ensure a good variety of snacks.
If you are providing all the food and drinks, Kay Ireland offers the following advice for calculating amounts in her article for LIVESTRONG:
- Secure an accurate count (or as close as possible) of how many people are attending your party.
- Account for at least five appetizers per person, per hour; after the first two hours, most guests will only eat three per hour.
- When it comes to desserts, plan for one slice of cake (or equivalent) or 3 cookies per person.
- For non-alcoholic drinks, plan one gallon for every ten people.
- For “adult beverages,” make sure to stock at least one bottle of each popular alcohol (like rum, scotch, gin and vodka), a bottle of wine for every three people, and plenty of mixers (like club soda and limes). For beer drinkers, expect your guests to consume 2 drinks during the first hour of the party, then 1 drink every additional hour.
- Buy enough food to account for at least 5 extra people, just in case.
Now you are ready to kick off a Super Bowl party that everyone will enjoy! Live it up and cheer for your favorite football team with good friends, food and fun!
If you’re in the Portland-Metro area, let us know if we can help you with any of your party planning or catering needs. You can contact us online or call anytime.